Are you struggling to lose weight on a plant-based diet? For many, plant-based diets and weight loss are synonymous, but for others, simply eating more plants just won't cut it. Many plant-based weight loss hopefuls are missing structure and strategy that goes beyond merely "eating more plants".
In this post, I'm going to share my notes from a recent video Plant-Based Weight Loss Manifesto. I hope these notes provide you with a blueprint and the nuanced tactics that you're currently missing.
Check out the video below for a detailed explanation of the following notes.
6 Key Rules For This Manifesto
- No calorie counting
- Feel full eating
- No extreme exercise
- Sustain results
- No crash dieting
- Health improvement
3 Pillars To Success
Pillar 1: Food
- Fibre & nutrient focus: brown rice, oats, lentils, beans, peas, berries and vegetables (nuts and seeds are high in fibre but also high in calories)
- 1 potato-based meal daily; jacket spuds, wedges, stews, etc.
- Tofu & tempeh max. 3 x per week
- 1 meal out per week max. — no dessert!
- Fruit-only meals 2 x per week (increase if progress flatlines)
- Wholewheat bread, pasta, processed cereals acceptable - but be mindful!
- Fat content - 15-20% of overall calorie intake
Pillar 2: Exercise
- Focus on steady-state cardio; walking, light jogging, yoga, zumba, swimming, cycling, tai chi, rowing machine, cross-trainer
- Benefits of steady-state: less chance of injury, more doable for beginners, don’t stoke appetite as much as HIIT
- Frequency over volume
- 2 hours per week for beginners, 3 hours for intermediates
- Graduate from least moderate to moderate as you go
Pillar 3: Mindset
- Feel deserving of weight loss success
- Become aware of emotional eating vulnerabilities
- Learn how to distinguish between physical and emotional hunger
- Learn to stop using food as a tool
- Deploy patience